Skip to content Skip to navigation Skip to subnavigation Skip to search
Want to know more about Germany?
Dip into our inspiring eBrochure and get your first impressions about the sheer diversity of Germany as a travel destination. The eBrochure is available in 32 languages.


Further information:
You can find more information about Germany on our website at:, or on our local websites.


Travel documents

US citizens in possession of a valid US passport and Canadian citizens with a valid Canadian passport do not need a visa for airport transit, tourist or business trips (for stays up to 90 days). The passport must not expire before the end of the scheduled trip.

Other foreign nationals require a valid passport and, depending on their country of origin, might require a visa to enter Germany. In this case their passport must be valid for at least another three months after the scheduled return. 

The German Embassy and the German Consulates can provide you with detailed information. Please click below:

Customs formalities

Travellers can bring goods into Germany from a non-EU country duty-free. The goods concerned must be carried with the traveller and must be for personal consumption or use. Up to 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g tobacco may be brought in. One litre of spirits with an alcohol content of more than 22% by volume or two litres of spirits, aperitifs based on wine, alcohol, taffia, sake or similar with an alcohol content of 22% by volume or less or 2 litres of sparkling wine or liqueur wine or a proportional mix of these goods, plus two litres of still wines. 500g coffee or 200g of extracts, essences or concentrates of coffee or preparations on the basis of these goods or on the basis of coffee. 50g of perfume and 0.25 litres of eau de toilette.
Goods imported to Germany from a non-EU country are duty-free up to a value of €175, subject to the above restrictions.

Regulations for pets

A pet passport is required to take dogs, cats and ferrets across borders within the European Union. The passport must be clearly attributable to the animal, i.e. it must be possible to identify the animal by means of tattoo or microchip and the identification number must be entered in the passport. In addition to information on animal and owner, the passport must contain a veterinary's certificate confirming that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies.

Click below for detailed information about traveling to Germany with your pet: